Home » Areas of Immigration » Non-Immigrant Visas


USCIS grants B-1/B-2 visas to those seeking to come to the United States for a temporary stay for either tourism or business. B-2 visa activities include such things as visiting family, obtaining medical treatment, or simply taking a vacation. The B-1 visa is for those coming to the United States for a business trip. Often, those applying are granted a joint B-1/B-2 visa. B-1/B-2 visas are multiple entry visas and can allow a maximum stay of up to 180 days per year in the United States.

Some of the things you cannot do while in the United States on a B-1 or B-2 visa include studying, working, permanently residing in the United States, and working as a paid performer, among other things. If you are worried that your intended activity in the United States may violate the terms of your B-1 or B-2 visa, please contact the attorneys at Lehigh Immigration for guidance.

The Department of State grants B-1/B-2 visas at the embassy or consulate in your home country but can also issue B-1/B-2 visas at the consulate or embassy in another country more convenient to you.

What happens if you are in the United States and you need to extend your stay or change to a different visa classification? It is possible, but schedule a consultation with the attorneys at Lehigh Immigration to see if you qualify for a visa change or extension. [Link to I-539 Page].


F-1 visas are for students who are looking to enter the United States to study at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. The studies must be at a school authorized by the United States government to accept international students and must be a program that grants a degree, diploma, or certificate.

F-1 students may not work off-campus their first year of academic study, but may accept on-campus employment which is subject to certain restrictions and conditions. After the first year of academic study, F-1 visa holders may engage in Optional Practice Training( OPT), Curricular Practical Training (CPT), or Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT). In certain situations of extreme hardship or special student relief, students may be granted the ability to work off-campus on a case-by-case basis.

I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status

If you are in the United States on a non-immigrant visa and need to extend your stay or change your visa status, you may be able to apply for an extension or change of your. The following requirements generally apply:

  • Your nonimmigrant status is still valid

  • You have not violated the conditions of your visa

  • You have a valid passport

  • You have not committed any crimes that make you ineligible for a visa

Please note that if you remain in the United States beyond the validity of your visa and do not apply for an extension or change of status, you may be barred from returning to the United States in the future and/or may be removed from the United States.